Monday, May 23, 2011

Don't bug me...flys



You may or may not realize it, but a fly mask can be quite a scary thing to a horse that has never had something covering their face. Summer is protective of her head (as she should be!) and so introducing the fly mask took some time. Wild horses learn to protect their vulnerable parts from predators or situations that may compromise their ability to escape. She was very good about the fly mask being rubbed around on her body, she tolerated it as I gently slipped it onto her face a few times.

Once it was secure, I began rubbing her down with a saddle pad. As you can see, she did very well. Considering she has only been with me 24 hours, I am pretty pleased! You can see from the picture above that she showed me some really positive signs of licking and yawning. This girl is fun to work with because even though she is quite skittish and nervous, she is still inquisitive and willing to work. She even whinnied when I shut the paddock to go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!