Monday, September 24, 2012

Dixie's first competition

 It was a much awaited weekend...Dixie's first competition endurance ride. When Jennifer pulled the trailer up to the barn Saturday I was so excited. We have been training for a few months now and signed up for an AERC ride in Gilroy, CA. They offered a 50, 25, and 10 mile fun ride. I liked the idea of having the word 'fun' in our division and thought that if I paced her correctly we could do it twice. Upon arrival, we decided to take a nice walk and get our horses used to the setting. Dixie seemed to know how it worked from the get go! She was as calm as any other seasoned traveler.
Jennifer took off at 6:30 for the 50 miler and I followed behind at around 7:30. Anyone that knows me will not have a hard time believing that I found the trail directions rather challenging. I was not too concerned because I planned on taking my time and doing it twice anyways. After the first 8 miles we came in for water and to check her heart rate...44! She was in great shape so we went out again for 11 more miles. All in all, she did perfect in every way. She even got all A's on her vet check! Jennifer came in at 2nd place for the 50 mile and Stella looked fabulous. It was one of the best weekends I have had and can't wait to do it again!

Jennifer and
Stella

Our beautiful view 

Robin Hood, the mustang who is in the Hall of Fame with OVER 11,000 competition miles at the age of 22!

On the trail!




Below is a picture of our vet card. We got ALL A's! Way to go on your first ride and overnight camping trip Dixie! I could not be more proud!



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous24.9.12

    How wonderful! Congratulations to both of you (Lee)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!